IMDB's Next Top Model Cycle 4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanna see the only reason I was ever suspended?

3 posters

Go down

Wanna see the only reason I was ever suspended? Empty Wanna see the only reason I was ever suspended?

Post  Breenis Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Before you read this, I know plenty will say that I've edited this past the initial point of writing. That is not the case. My mom scanned it and e-mailed it to me last night for the sake of a trip down memory lane. I copied it exactly and typed it up word for word. I did fix a few spelling errors, because I was not perfect as a seventh-grader, but all the vocabulary was there at age twelve. I was a smart-ass.

Anyhow, I think it's just an Ontario curriculum thing, but every year from about third grade on, students have to prepare a "public speech." They have to write it themselves, then present it to the class, then one or two from the class are selected to present in front of the school, then a junior and senior winner are selected and they go forth to the municipal level, district, and provincial.

It's not as interesting now as it was a decade ago, because kids can access anything and it's freakin' boring.

Seventh grade was the year I lashed out. I delivered this speech which was motivated by the previous year - in the sixth grade I did a speech on the history of The Simpsons, and even though I spoke the best by far, I was rejected to even move out of the classroom because my teacher considered my topic inappropriate (she DID actually say this to me, it wasn't just an excuse).

When I read this speech, my bitch of a teacher waited until I was done, took me down to the office without a word, put my speech in front of the VP's eyes and he read it. He then suspended me for one day.

It started with an opening statement!

And within three seconds of that opening statement, the teachers, students, and judges have decided whether or not the forthcoming speech is even worth listening to. If you're comfortable with dead stares and drooling from your peers, go ahead and do that speech about your pet cat Mittens. But if you want to wow 'em, and I mean really get them on the edge of their seat, I've got your solution. Honourable judges, teachers, and my fellow students, today I am going to tell you how to deliver a speech so convincing, even those whiteout-sniffing ne'er-do-wells at the back of the gym will be on your side.

We start with topic choice. This is the most critical, because about seventy-five percent of your grade comes from content. Trust me. Even if you deliver a speech as charismatically as Trudeau himself, you will ultimately be penalized if your teacher is not hip with your subject of choice. Key topics to avoid are the values of Conservativism, various laws your school has broken in the past five years, and the positive impacts of video games on society.

You have two potential routes for success. You could go the personal route. Talk about your mother and why she's great. Or about your family's geneology. But beware, just because you barely have to research it doesn't mean you don't have to work hard. Teachers see about fifteen wishy-washy subjects like this per class each year. So you have to be memorable. You have to be extra-schmoltzy. If you don't really know what you're talking about, act like you know!

You can also go the faux-political route. Pick a current and mildly interesting topic, and simply regergitate what newspapers have been saying. Key topics would include exactly what happened on the morning of September 11th, why drinking and driving ruins lives, why drugs are bad, and why Hitler was mean. These topics make you look intelligent and political, but you're not really rocking anyone's boat.

So that brings me to my second tip for success. Opinions. You know how we're all entitled to an opinion? Yeah, not at public speaking time. Expressing a radical and controversial opinion may have merit in theory, but trust me. Your seventh-grade teacher doesn't want to hear it. Now I know what you're thinking. "But Breanna, they tell us a speech is to express an opinion!" Ahh, that's where the trick comes in. The key is to passively express some semblance of an opinion that doesn't contradict your teacher's personal politics. So like I said, stay away from the positive points of Conservativism if you know what's good for you.

Lastly is preparation the day of the speech. Practice your projection. The key is to be boisterous and unnaturaly loud, on the borderline of being obnoxious. As for body language, remember: posture, posture, posture! Shoulders back, chin up, eyes forward, hips straight. Don't sit into one leg. Don't put all your weight on your heels. Remember, today, you are not a seventh-grader. You are a machine.

Well, I hope I've helped you out - not just with the public speaking, but with the rest of your public school career! Sacrificing your voice and values in order to please the masses holds plenty of merit in the public school system. Teachers, students, take note. Someone's finally figured it all out.

There's a happy ending to this story. My mom appealed my suspension, and though I didn't get to go to school the next day, it was taken off my record. We also showed my speech to a few people on the school board who thought it was incredible, so I was immediately skipped ahead to the municipal round. I placed second at all-Ontarios in the intermediate division and got a medal.

... the next year I was too swamped to put this much effort in and did a generic speech about dance.
Breenis
Breenis

Back to top Go down

Wanna see the only reason I was ever suspended? Empty Re: Wanna see the only reason I was ever suspended?

Post  Killian Machine Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Were you a child prodigy?
Killian Machine
Killian Machine

Back to top Go down

Wanna see the only reason I was ever suspended? Empty Re: Wanna see the only reason I was ever suspended?

Post  Breenis Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:19 am

I've been writing novellas and keeping a journal for as long as I can remember. I also won a short story contest when I was eleven. I love to write. Still do. I could never write poems or lyrics though. They're beyond lame. But I love writing short stories and speeches and rants.
Breenis
Breenis

Back to top Go down

Post  Cozy.little.tomb. Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:47 am

if this was said at my grade school no one would care. they would think it was funny at my high school. and if it was said at my college everyone woulda been like YEAH WHATS UP WITH THAT SHIT.
ur school musta been pretty strict.
Cozy.little.tomb.
Cozy.little.tomb.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum